Orange Sponge Cake
- 3 eggs, separated
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1 dessertspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
Prep:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease and flour one 23cm (9 in) cake tin.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy. Mix flour and baking powder together. Alternately add flour mixture and orange juice to the egg yolk mixture.
- In a separate large clean bowl, with a clean wire whisk or electric beater, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
How on earth did others make this and like it?! There's no oil, butter or marg in it! By the egg yolk stage, it looked so dry and pitiful that I had to add 150g stork. - 07 Jun 2011
This recipe was amazing, planning to use it again for Mother's Day! I altered the recipe a bit (1 full egg to mix into the batter to make it more moist and then used self-raising flour instead of baking powder and plain flour). Also I poured melted terry's chocolate orange on top of the cake so when it hardened not only did look incredible it tasted just as great! - 17 Mar 2012
Fantastic. I used a little less sugar, the rind from two large oranges, twice as much orange juice and now have a lovely, moist orange sponge topped with orange flavoured icing. Yum! - 06 May 2011