Carne de Porco à Alentejana (Portuguese Pork and Clams)
- 350ml (12 fl oz) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1kg (2 1/4 lb) pork fillet, cubed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed chillies
- 24 small clams in shell, scrubbed
- handful chopped fresh parsley
Prep:40min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr10min
- In large bowl, combine wine, paprika, salt and pepper; blend well. Add halved garlic cloves, bay leaf and cubed pork, and mix to coat thoroughly. Marinate for at least 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove pork; reserve marinade. Pat pork completely dry. Discard garlic and bay leaf.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of oil in large frying pan. Add pork, stirring frequently so that the meat colours quickly and evenly. Transfer with slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Pour reserved marinade into frying pan and bring to the boil over high heat, scraping off any brown bits clinging to the inside of pan. Boil uncovered until marinade is reduced by 1/3. Pour over pork and set aside.
- In 6 to 8 litre casserole, heat remaining oil; add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is soft but not brown. Add minced garlic, tomatoes and crushed chillies. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Spread the clams, hinged side down, over the tomato sauce; cover the casserole tightly and cook over medium to high heat for ten minutes or until clams open. Stir in reserved pork and juices. Simmer for 5 minutes to heat thoroughly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Something else. Go to my page for the right way of cooking this dish, this is a variation but there are curcial ingredients missing plus it is not a stew like it says and looks. this one also looks yummy but its not the same - 13 May 2010
I believe this isn't exactly the same recepie as we make it in alentejo.I do it diferently. It is definatly not a stewThis is a good variation of the recepie though. There is one crucial ingridient missing which is red papper paste marinate. absolutely crucial and necessary for this dish. I will post the recepie for that on my page because its kinda hard to find in the uk. But I will defninatly have a go at this recepie - 13 May 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Used cider vinegar and added fresh garlic to meat marination. - 02 Jul 2009