Spinach, pine nut and basil pasta salad
- 450g pasta
- 150g fresh spinach leaves
- 85g fresh basil leaves
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 100g parma ham or cooked bacon, diced
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 60g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 80g toasted pine nuts
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the bow tie pasta and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well.
- Toss the spinach and basil together in a large bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat; cook and stir the garlic in the hot oil for 1 minute; stir in the parma ham or cooked bacon and warm through. Remove from heat. Add to the bowl with the spinach and basil mixture; toss to combine. Pour in the drained pasta and toss again.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and pine nuts to serve.
This dish was delicious! The hot oil and parma ham wilted the spinach and basil some and then the hot pasta a little more. It was just right. Makes a large amount, so great for large gathering. - 26 Jul 2011