Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 225g dried dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 335ml boiling water to cover
- 75g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 75g butter
- 1 (170ml) tin evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a small bowl combine the dates and bicarbonate of soda. Pour enough boiling water over the dates to just cover them.
- Cream 75g butter with the caster sugar until light. Beat in the eggs and mix well to combine.
- Add the flour and date mixture (including water) to the egg mixture and fold to combine. Pour the batter into one 20cm round cake tin, or pour into a bun tin.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool and serve with warm caramel sauce.
- To make caramel sauce: In a small saucepan combine the dark brown sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla and butter. Cook over medium heat and bring to the boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over slices of pudding.
First recipe I've tried for this desert. Found it really easy and really tasty. My husband and kids LOVE this so much it's now their favourite desert. Try really hard not to stir the caramel sauce when your making it it can separate if you stir too much. - 06 Mar 2014