1 / 1 Picture by: LatinaCook
Strawberries and cream swiss roll
Makes: 1 Swiss roll
- For the swiss roll
- 3 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 80ml hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- a few tablespoons icing sugar for dusting
- For the strawberry and cream filling
- 150g fresh strawberries, chopped
- 235ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (2 or 3g) powdered gelatine
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
Prep:30min › Cook:15min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Butter and line a swiss roll tin with buttered foil or buttered greaseproof paper.
- Beat the eggs until thick and fluffy. Gradually add caster sugar, beating constantly. Stir in water and vanilla extract. Fold in flour, baking powder and salt. Pour cake batter into tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes. It should be springy to the touch, and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the cake tin.
- Lay out a clean tea towel, and sprinkle it with icing sugar. Turn the swiss roll out onto the towel. Take off the paper or foil. Cut away crusty edges. Roll the cake up in the towel, and leave it to cool.
- Whip the cream. Add powdered gelatine and 1 tablespoon sugar. Fold in the freshly chopped strawberries. Unroll the swiss roll and spread with the strawberry and cream mixture; gently roll up again. Chill until ready to serve.
omg! This was a great recipe! Totally fool proof! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! - 29 Nov 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!