Toad in the hole
- 8 pork sausages
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 250ml (8 fl oz) milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C /gas mark 6.
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a baking dish, and arrange the sausages over it in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs and half of the milk until smooth. Gradually mix in the rest of the milk until a smooth batter is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sausages from the oven, and ladle the batter over them until the sausages are 3/4 covered. Return to the oven, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the centre is risen and browned. Don't worry if the underside seems slightly soft, as this is normal.
Nice simple recipe. Batter rose lovely. I would suggest cooking the sausage a little longer, until they are a little browned before doing the batter stage. - 01 Feb 2012
I made the easy toad in the hole for the family tonight as something for a change and they loved it, will certainly be making it again - 01 Feb 2012
Hi slackalice! A deep sided roasting tin or casserole dish that's about 28cm x 18cm (11 x 7 inches) would work well for this recipe. - 09 Nov 2011