Basic Chocolate Cake
- 400g plain flour
- 400g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500ml water
Prep:15min › Cook:40min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm (9x13 in) cake tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Make a well in the centre, and pour in the oil, vinegar, water and vanilla.
- Mix well, then pour into the cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Didn't like this recipe at all. The recipe asks for way too much salt and bicarbonate of soda. It ruined the cake in my opinion with that much. It made it look and taste more like a bread than a cake. I would add a lot less salt and bicarbonate of soda if I was to ever make it again. - 06 Oct 2009
Used different ingredients. Wow! I added chocolate chips (4tbsp) to the recipe. I would make this again and let the kids help out. I'm fat gram conscious, and this is a good lower fat recipe. - 18 Jul 2008
very easy to make, rose beautifully, looked amazing...tasted terrible!! way to much salt and bicarb. would try to make it again though and adjust ingredients. - 04 Sep 2011