Traditional Scotch Pancake
Makes : 6 pancakes (approximately)
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g flour (plain or self-raising)
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Add the flour and sugar to the bowl (for best results, use sieve).
- Add egg and mix into sugar and flour using a whisk. You will now have a floury, dry, lumpy mixture.
- Smooth this mixture out by gradually adding and whisking in splashes of milk. The aim is to have a relatively thick, smooth batter, about the same consistancy as double cream, so you will not need a lot of milk.
- Moisten a paper towel with vegetable oil and then use this to grease a thick based frying pan (the thick base is very important). Then heat the frying pan. When the frying pan is hot, ladle in some of the batter
- As a rule of thumb the pancake is ready to be turned when bubbles start to form on the surface. Turn and cook until the surface is golden brown (in total about 2 minutes). Remove from pan and re-grease using paper towel if necessary
The first pancake is always over or under done, so use it to adjust temperature. Also these pancakes can be made to any size you wish but the bigger the pancake the more dificult it is to cook evenly
Great little recipe. Glad I found something really simple and ridiculously easy. When it says "Splash of milk" I think I used around 1/2 cup of milk. You'll know when its right if you've seen batter before, plus it just glides off of your whisk yet isn't like water. Great recipe! Dust with icing sugar and they're the tastiest things ever! Also; Time says 30 mins but I'd say they're all prepped and cooked within 15 minutes! - 20 Aug 2011
I'm lactose intolerant, so I made this recipe with lacto-free milk, and also mixed self-raising flour and buckwheat flour to give a coarser consistency. The first batch were a touch rubbery, so I added a little more milk and got an excellent result. We had them for a quick and luxurious breakfast, with chopped banana and a honey and cinnamon topping. Yum yum yum! - 31 Mar 2012
really easy to make & taste great to! made them on pancake day as none of my family like traditional pancakes but they all fell in love! - 08 Mar 2011