Coconut loaf cake
Makes: 12 slices
- 175g soft butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g grated sweet coconut
- 2 tablespoons milk
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:20min cooling › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line 2lb loaf tin.
- Beat the butter or margarine until soft with a wooden spoon or electric whisk. Add the caster sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Whisk or beat in 1 egg at a time.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder; mix well together. Add the coconut and milk; mix together. Pour into the loaf tin.
- Bake until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. If the top is browning too much and the cake is not cooked through, cover with tin foil.
Very tasty, buttery recipe, which I admit I did tweak. I added 2 x 10g sachets of vanilla sugar and topped it up with the caster sugar to 175g. I was also concerned there wasn't enough liquid, so I added around 125ml of buttermilk as well. The result is a delicious coconut cake that isn't going to be around for long!!! - 29 Sep 2013
Lovely cake but needed some more liquid so added vanilla essence, and also a bit too sweet using sweet coconut, dessicated coconut works for me. Also tastes good with a dash of cinnamon added to the flour - 17 Jan 2014
This cake turned out beautifully. Highly recommend. - 22 Nov 2013