- 1.5kg pork spare ribs (or rib rack)
- 180g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) soy sauce
- 1 pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr40min
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C / Gas 3. If you purchased a rack of ribs, separate them into single ribs to cook.
- Arange the ribs in a large roasting tin and cook for 1 hour. You can cover with foil if you like but the juices from the pork will keep them moist.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and turn up the temperature to 200 degrees C / Gas 6. Carefully drain off all the liquid in the roasting tin.
- In a cup or a bowl, mix the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce (and chilli flakes, if using) until sugar has dissolved. Pour this sweet-sour mixture over the ribs in the roasting tin, making sure each rib is well coated. Return the ribs to the oven and cook for another 20 or 30 minutes until the ribs are sticky.
Fried cabbage or stir-fried vegetables go really well with the ribs.
Place the roasting tin on the grid shelf on the bottom runner of the roasting oven. If you're oven is cooler - remove or raise the grid shelf and cook the ribs on the oven floor.