Danish style red cabbage
- 1 whole red cabbage
- 50g butter, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced or as needed
- 150ml cherry or blackcurrant juice
- salt and pepper
Prep:5min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr5min
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and quarter the remainder, removing the stem. Slice finely.
- In a large casserole dish (preferably heavy bottomed) melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, mix well then add the lemon juice and a little of the fruit juice. Bring to the boil.
- Add the cabbage to the casserole pot and mix well. Cover and steam until the cabbage is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Be sure to check regularly, stir and add more of the fruit juice as you go along.
- For the last 15 minutes, add a good knob of butter, more lemon juice and sugar to taste. Serve.
This is also nice with the addition of apple or some caraway seeds added.
See it on my blog
Perfect, just like my Danish mothers red cabbage. She is a great person for improvising, and for some strange reason she used concentrated ribena in her recipe, but this recipe was perfect and tasted us the same as my mothers. - 29 Oct 2011