Makes: 24 cupcakes
- 175g (6 oz) softened butter or Stork® margarine
- 175g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
Prep:10min › Cook:14min › Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:54min
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla essence and add the eggs - whizz again to make a yellow batter.
- Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stop once in the middle of this and scrape the sides down using a spatula. The longer mixing time enables air to get into the mixture which will make it lighter. Pour into fairy or cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 14 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They will be perfect when they bounce back to the touch and the top still looks slightly sticky. This will ensure they keep their moisture.
- Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool, then decorate as you wish.
Top with buttercream, fondant icing or just eat plain!!
I make cupcakes as a hobby. I love the original vanilla cupcake and must say this absolutley it the best. Everyone comments on how light and fluffy the sponge us. Thank you for sharing this recipe i would use no other now. X - 24 Apr 2012
This truly is the best vanilla sponge I have ever made. I make a lot of cupcakes and have never had so many compliments as when I have used this recipe! - 15 Mar 2011
I've been trying out lots of various vanilla cupcake recipes over the last year or so and, I have to say, this is by far the best I have found. Absolutely delicious and they keep moist for quite a few days (which can't be said of most of the other recipes). Yum ! - 07 Jan 2013