Always summer chicken and chorizo rice salad
- 125g long grain rice
- oil as needed
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 150g chicken mini fillets, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped chorizo
- 4 tablespoons frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 125g passata
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 8 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cucumber
- 4 tablespoons kidney beans
Prep:5min › Cook:20min › Ready in:25min
- Boil the rice until tender. Drain and rinse well under cold water until the rice is cooled. Pour into a mixing bowl. Cover and place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with a little oil and add the onion and pepper. Cook for a 5 minutes then add the chicken, garlic and chorizo. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through. Add the sweetcorn, coriander and half the passata. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further few minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To the remaining passata add the cumin, sugar, chilli powder and a little seasoning. Mix well and set aside. Once chicken mixture is cool mix this into the rice and add the remaining passata, cherry tomatoes, spring onion, cucumber and kidney beans. Mix well. Divide between lunch box containers and chill. Will keep for a couple of days. Do not heat up.
Serve with a crusty bread roll for a substantial lunch.
See it on my blog
I just know my Sue will lov this one, just looking at the ingredient's I can see it being a great dish, I often precook rice for salads and just know this dish will be great. Luv chorizo and peppers! In cooking - 08 Mar 2012