Extra time:10min cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line the sides and base of a 23cm square baking tin with grease proof paper and also grease the tin with a light coating of butter. Finely grate the zest from the orange and squeeze out the juice. Pour the juice over the raisins in a bowl, stir in the zest then leave to soak.
- Put the sugar into a mixing bowl with the oil and add the eggs. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon. Add the carrots, raisins with orange juice and zest, walnuts and ground almonds; stir to mix.
- Mix the flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon then shift into the bowl of mixture. Lightly mix together. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Test with a skewer and if it comes out clean it is done. Leave it in the tin to cool for about 5 minutes and then take it out. Take the paper off and let it go cold on a wire rack.
- Beat the icing sugar, soft cheese, lemon juice and orange zest in a small bowl until it resembles single cream. Spread over the cooled cake.
You can cut the cake into squares. I have found that if you put it in an airtight tin it will keep for 3 to 5 days uniced or in the fridge if iced.
I bake this cake in my microwave and it comes out great. I have the Sharp R-959M-A combination convection. I use the Auto Cook Cake feature and the cake takes about 25 minutes.
I have used a 23cm silicone cake tin for this cake (from TKmax). The advantage being you don't need to grease or use any lining paper.