67 people made this
About this recipe:
Large slab cake. Can be decorated for birthday cakes, etc. Stays nice and moist for quite a while in an airtight container.
350g caster sugar
350g soft margarine
450g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a large square or oblong roasting tin.
- Use electric mixer to cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Add milk but DO NOT MIX until you have added the flour.
- Mix slowly at first and then increase speed until all combined. Whisk for 3 minutes more. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Cut in half and sandwich together with butter icing.
You can add 3 tablespoons cocoa with the flour to make chocolate cake.
turned the oven down as the top browned well before it was cooked, nice even bake but not a great taste.
- 15 Feb 2012
This is a great recipe! I have made it many times
- 07 Jul 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate