Mixed fruit and cranberry loaf
- 140g mixed dried fruit
- 50g dried cranberries
- 200ml hot black tea
- 450g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 110g caster sugar
- 125g butter chopped
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 medium eggs
- almond flakes for bottom of tin (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:25min › Extra time:2hr soaking › Ready in:2hr40min
- Put the dried fruit and dried cranberries in a bowl and pour in the hot black tea. Soak for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment and a little butter.
- Sift the flour, spices and sugar into a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Stir in the milk, eggs and fruit (including any tea left) until just mixed together. Don't over-mix. Sprinkle the almond flakes on the bottom of the loaf tin, if using. Put the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes to cool and then turn out, take the parchment off and leave on a wire rack to cool.
I have made this using my Sharp R-595M-A Combination Convection Microwave using the Auto Cake feature. I also use a 2lb silicone loaf tin (from TK Maxx) as you do not need to grease or line it.
The almond flakes is just for something different to try.
Used different ingredients. I have made this using 70g castor sugar and 40g of demerera sugar. I have also added 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg. - 05 Feb 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. I made this yesterday but didnt have any mixed fruit so used what I had in the cupboard; sultanas, craisons (mix between raison and cranberry) and sour cherries. Also soaked them all in vanilla tea - turned out lovely and moist. Also cut down the sugar to 80g and still tasted great. Will definitely be doing this one again - 01 Jun 2011
Love this recipe. SO much tastier than the shop bought variety. Easy to make, using simple store cupboard ingredients. Def in my favourites file! - 19 Mar 2013