Split Pea Falafel
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) yellow split peas
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 to 15 leaves fresh mint, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Place split peas in a large bowl, and cover with water (roughly twice as much water as split peas by volume). Cover, and let soak for 24 hours.
- Drain the water from the peas, and mash thoroughly. Mix in onion, garlic, mint, egg, coriander and cumin. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 185 C.
- Form split pea mixture into small rounds, flatten slightly, and drop into hot oil. Fry until the falafel are a rich brown colour.
i'd be interested if anyone has followed this recipe. You need to cook the split peas after the 24 hour soak !!!!!!!! - 25 Jul 2009
I have never had a falafel before, let alone make some and I must say these were easy to make and tasted delicious. Rather than "mashing" the split peas though, as it was a bit tough to do, I used a food processor and blended the ingredients. They were a big hit. - 11 Dec 2011