Bacon and Onion Pudding
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 100g (4 oz) shredded beef suet
- water to mix
- 8 to 10 rashers bacon (smoked or unsmoked)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 beef stock cube, crushed
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr30min › Ready in:2hr50min
- Make the suet pastry by mixing the flour and shredded suet with enough water to form a dough. Set aside.
- Trim any excess fat from the bacon.
- Take the suet patry dough and roll out quite thinly. Once rolled, place the bacon all over the pastry and sprinkle the onions over the bacon. Sprinkle with the crumbled stock cube.
- Carefully roll the pastry, as you would when making a swiss roll. Wrap the pudding in aluminium foil, making sure to seal well. Place in a steamer and steam for 2 1/2 hours.
my mum made bacon and onion pud when I was a child,I am now 54, but she added the chopped bacon and onion to the flour (SR) and suet mixed with water and turned it out onto a floured muslin cloth, tied it up and placed it into a saucepan of gently boiling water,that had a plate in the bottom to stop the cloth from sticking. When it was ready she unwrapped it and cut large slices of the pudding which was light and fluffy on the inside and slightly goey on the outside,it remains one of my family's favourite dishes although these days I put the pudding mixture into a pudding basin. - 15 Apr 2012
Bucks Clanger Suet Pastry 1/2 lb bacon or ham 1 chopped onion 1 med potato pepper Make pastry, roll out, add chopped bacon or ham, onion,cubed potato and pepper. Fold in the pastry to make a large envelope, wrap in greasedproofed paper then foil and steam for about 3 hrs. this has been a staple in Bucks since the WW11. You can add anything you want to it but thats the original "Bucks Clanger". - 10 Jan 2012
My Nan used to make this for me as a child and sadly she passed away 4 years ago without ever passing her recipe on. I was so grateful this has been posted as it tastes EXACTLY how she used to do it!! My boys love it!!! Brought back lots of happy memories too. Definatly a recipe I will be cooking again!! Thank you so much for sharing xxx - 11 Jan 2012