Quick & Easy Fruit Cake
- 225g self raising flour
- 110g butter
- 110g sugar
- 225g mixed fruit (include cherries if wished)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr15min
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, add sugar and dried fruit and mixed spice, if using.
- Add egg and milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Put into lined 2 lb loaf tin or 6" round cake tin. Sprinkle demerara sugar over the top and pat down with the back of a spoon (this gives a nice crunchy top) and bake for approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours in a preheated oven at 180 C / 160 C fan / Gas 4 until a skewer comes out clean.
I mix the flour, sugar and butter in my mixer with the blade attachement until I get the breadcrumb stage and then freeze, then just remove from the freezer add the rest of the ingredients and bake. If you double, triple, etc. these first three ingredients to put in the freezer then you only need to weigh out 445g / 1lb then add the remaining ingredients to bake ONE cake and save the rest for another time.
best fruit cake I have ever made turned out great and so easy, must say it kept well in a tin as well - 05 Feb 2012
love this recipe thank you for sharing - 12 Nov 2011
made this cake after reading previous reviews and added 8 tbsp of milk and it is nice and moist. A lovely cake which has been commented on positively and the recipe requested. - 04 Oct 2012