Simple homemade scones
881 people made this
About this recipe:
Make some warm homemade scones in less than half an hour. The sultanas are optional.
225g self raising flour
1 pinch salt
50g cold butter, cut into pieces
25g caster sugar
50g sultanas (optional)
120ml milk, plus extra for brushing
Extra time:3min ›
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7. Grease a baking tray.
- Measure out the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the butter. Rub together with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas, if using.
- Add the milk to the mixture and stir everything together. Knead the mixture together with your hands until you have formed a stiff dough.
- Gently roll out the dough until it is 2cm thick. Cut out shapes with round biscuit cutters dipped in flour. Put the scones on a baking tray, brush them with milk
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Leave them on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Made them today. Added 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Yummy.
- 01 Jul 2012
added a small teaspoon of baking powder, not sure if it made a difference but the best scone recipe ever
- 27 Jan 2013
Lovely I added mixed fruit as opposed to sultana's and they were gorgeous
- 24 Sep 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate