Simple homemade scones
- 225g self raising flour
- 50g cold butter, cut into pieces
- pinch salt
- 120ml milk
- 25g caster sugar
- 50g sultanas
Prep:20min › Cook:12min › Extra time:3min › Ready in:35min
- Measure out the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the butter. Rub together with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas (if using).
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C/ gas mark 7. Grease a baking tray.
- Add the milk to the mixture and stir everything together. Knead the mixture together with your hands until you have formed a stiff dough.
- Gently roll out the dough until it is 2 cms thick. Cut out shapes with biscuit cutters dipped in flour.
- Put the scones on a baking tray, brush them with milk and cook them for 12-15 minutes. Then leave them on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Made them today. Added 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Yummy. - 01 Jul 2012
Lovely I added mixed fruit as opposed to sultana's and they were gorgeous - 24 Sep 2011
added a small teaspoon of baking powder, not sure if it made a difference but the best scone recipe ever - 27 Jan 2013