Extra time:3hr cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2.
- Draw a 23cm circle using a 23cm tin on some greaseproof paper. Do not cut out, but make sure there is room around the circle and place on a flat baking tray.
- Combine egg whites, cornflour, white vinegar and caster sugar and whisk, preferably with an electric whisk to save time and your arms from aching. Whisk until it forms stiff peaks, then spread within the circle on the greaseproof paper, spreading evenly to the sides.
- Bake for 1hr, then turn the oven off and leave meringue in to cool whilst the oven cools.
- Wash the fruit and set aside to dry on some kitchen paper.
- Combine the double cream and vanilla extract and whisk until it holds a figure eight. Add to the cooled meringue, and then top with the fruit. Optional: you can dust with a little icing sugar before you serve.
If it's for a party, you can make the meringue the night before and leave it to cool overnight in the oven.
Toppings can be varied. You could make it with a chocolate topping using Maltesers®, Revels®, grated chocolate, flake, caramel sauce or a homemade chocolate sauce, using cream added to melted chocolate to get a sauce consistency.
Gorgeous simply just with a topping of fresh strawberries.
By adding the vinegar and cornflour, you avoid any problems caused by overwhisking the egg white.