1 / 1 Picture by: Alina
Spicy Pork Vindaloo
- 16 dried Kashmiri chilli peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt to taste
- 900g boneless pork fillet, trimmed and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 (5cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 475ml boiling water
- 2 green chilli peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr30min › Extra time:8hr marinating › Ready in:10hr
- Grind the dried chillies, cinnamon stick, cumin, cloves, peppercorns and turmeric with a mortar and pestle or electric coffee grinder until the spices have been ground smooth. Mix with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to create a smooth paste. Season to taste with salt.
- Mix the cubes of pork with the spice-vinegar paste in a bowl until evenly coated. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large casserole pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the onions, garlic and ginger until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the pork and its marinade; cook, stirring frequently, until the pork cubes have browned, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat, cover, and cook until the pork is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the green chilli pepper strips and 4 tablespoons vinegar. Cook uncovered until the chillies have softened and the vindaloo has thickened, about 30 more minutes. Season to taste with salt before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!