2 people made this
About this recipe:
Moist chocolate velvet cake for any time. Use a cream cheese icing or buttercream icing to finish this cake.
Makes: 1 2- layer cake
350g soft butter
350g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small pinch salt
300g plain flour
55g cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
50ml red food colouring
Extra time:30min cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour 2 (20cm) cake tins or 1 tube cake tin.
- Cream together butter and caster sugar.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, vanilla and salt, and half of the flour to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Add the remaining flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and give it a final beat to mix together.
- Add the food colouring and mix well. Spoon into the prepared tins.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
A truly yummy cake!!! I, my friends and family enjoyed it a great deal. To make it even more moist, I think I would use substitute some of the butter for oil. Definitely a repeat recipe.
- 17 Jan 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate