- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Chop the spring onion finely. I use only the tops so I can use the bulbs in salads, but you can use the whole of them if you wish. Lightly fry these with the onions.
- Put these, the leftover veg and carrots into a large casserole dish and cover with the gravy. You need sufficient gravy to cover all of the veg.
- Cut an X shape into the top of each tomato and place these into the vegetable mixture.
- Layer the top of the mixture with potatoes and season this to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the stuffing mix over the top and carefully pour over about 1/2 pint of boiling water.
- Bake uncovered in a hot oven until the stuffing top has gone crusty, about 45 minutes.
You can use the vegetables raw but then it needs to be cooked for about 2 hours in a moderate oven. This is useful if you want to go out for a short while and come back to a meal.
If you are making for a vegetarian, don't forget to use gravy that has no meat extract.
Good way to get children to eat vegetables. They love the crunchy top and the stuffing taste permeates the whole dish.