Wendy's giant cupcake
- For the giant cupcake
- 275g (10oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 275g (10oz) golden caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 400g (14 oz) self-raising flour
- 140g (5 oz) plain flour
- 75ml (3 fl oz) milk
- For the buttercream
- 115g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- To decorate
- Small sweets, such as Dolly Mixtures
- Chocolate bars cut into thin slices
- Sweet necklaces
- White and milk chocolate writing icing
Prep:45min › Cook:1hr15min › Ready in:2hr
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 170 degrees C / gas mark 3. Brush the two halves of your giant (2.4 litre) cupcake tin with oil (or cooking spray) and dust with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Sieve in the self-raising and plain flours and stir in with the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, filling each half about three-quarters full and hollowing out the centres a little as both cakes will rise quite a lot. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes - 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer pushed into the centre of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for about 15 minutes before turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Trim the tops of the two cakes level and spread the base with the jam and about two-thirds of the buttercream. Sandwich the cakes together and spread the top part with the rest of the butter cream. Cover with small sweets and pieces of chopped chocolate bars pressing them gently into the icing to fix them in place. Finally drizzle chocolate writing icing over the top.
Awful. While easy to prepare, the whole cake burnt throughout.So much for a special occassion cake very disappointed - 14 Mar 2012
A complete disaster! I'm an accomplished cook and the cake was burnt round the outside and not cooked inside. It also rose enormously, so I trimmed of 10oz of cake. I don't have enough ingredients to try a different recipe. - 25 Feb 2012
I was very happy with this recipe. I have used it 3times now. Thank u - 01 May 2013