Low fat carbonara sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 57g lean bacon
- 1 tablespoon quark or fromage frais
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 120g pasta
Prep:5min › Cook:10min › Ready in:15min
- Place in a non-stick saucepan the onion with the garlic and stock. Gently cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove all visible fat from the bacon (or buy the medallions). Cut into strips. Add to the pan and cook on high until the bacon has cooked through.
- In a small bowl whisk the quark or fromage frais, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and seasoning.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until tender with a bite at the centre. Drain and return to the saucepan on a very low heat. Add the bacon mixture and then the egg mixture. Stir and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Instead of the bacon you can use peas, green beans and asparagus to make it a primavera sauce. Also try it with smoked salmon and peas. Very versatile sauce and delicious.
That is a really nice sauce. On a diet, but for my Sunday night treat (semi day off), it's a godsend. Lovely. - 17 Jun 2012
Thank you, this is jinxed. 2 Eggs. Actually, cooked this last weekend and only had one egg, but used more fromage frais instead. Worked well too, less creamy, but still delicious. - 29 Jul 2011
OOps! How many eggs?? - 25 Jul 2011