Zesty lemon sponge cake
40 people made this
About this recipe:
This light fresh zesty lemon sponge with a lemon cream filling is irresistible. Very special as a birthday cake, or for an Easter or Mother's Day dessert.
Makes: 1 Sponge cake
175g butter or margarine
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
3-4 teaspoons lemon flavouring or essence, to taste
1 lemon, zest only
175g self-raising flour
1 sachet lemon meringue pie filling such as Greens®
142ml double cream
2 teaspoons icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line 2 (20cm) sponge tins with nonstick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, blend together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the beaten egg a little at a time mixing well between each addition to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Add the lemon flavouring and zest, reserving a little of the zest for decoration later. Stir in.
- Sift half the flour into the mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins. Level off.
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer when inserted into the centre comes out clean and the cake is springy to touch.
- Remove from oven and leave cakes in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon meringue pie mix as per packet instruction and allow to go cold.
- In a seperate bowl whip the cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks are formed. Then fold into the lemon pie filling and combine thoroughly.
- Take one sponge layer and spread half the lemon filling on it. Place the other sponge layer on top.
- Spread the remaining lemon filling on top of the cake. Sprinkle on the reserved zest and dust with a little icing sugar.
Best to store cake in a container in the fridge, as it contains fresh cream and consume within three days - if it lasts that long!
this truly is a lovely cake,but I didn't stick to 142ml of cream,i used 300ml,loads of filling,also didn't use lemon juice from a jar,I used the lemon juice from the LEMON.
- 20 May 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate