Sticky gingerbread cake
- 110g (4 oz) margarine or butter
- 150g (5 oz) black treacle
- 85g (3 oz) golden syrup
- 150ml (1/4 pt) milk
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 55g (2 oz) brown soft sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
Prep:1hr15min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr45min
- Preheat the oven to 140 C / Gas 1.
- Warm the margarine or butter, treacle and syrup. Take off the heat, add milk and allow to cool. (It looks unappetising at this point, but fear not...)
- Sieve dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Add treacle mixture and eggs. Beat well. Pour into a buttered and floured or lined 20cm square tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
Its been a little while since I made this one, so I've had to estimate the prep time. I'm a slow cook, AND I've given an outside estimate, so it shouldn't take more than 2 1/2 - 3 hours. If you try this, please could you comment on how long it took you, and come winter, I'll try to update the recipe myself (if that's possible, it's my first submission)
I tried sprinkling icing sugar on this one time, but the sticky surface disagreed with it, and it didn't taste nice at all, so I'd avoid that one.
Mascarpone? I have yet to try it, but it sounds promising . . .
So simple yet gorgeous! I used a conventional gas oven at Mark 1. A nice surprise to find that a longer cooking time in a slow oven would produce such a moist, light cake. - 13 Dec 2011
baked this cake today (tried to) and has turned out lovely, left it in the oven for approx 2hr 15mins. I also added a little extra golden syrup as was worried the black treacle might be too strong a flavour. about to go and buy so cream to accompany it! thanks for sharing. - 22 Sep 2013
Just made this it's very nice, hopefully it will get a bit stickier overnight. It only took 40 mins at 140c to cook - 12 Apr 2014