Traditional Scottish shortbread
Makes: 12 slices
- 225g butter
- 170g plain flour
- 110g self-raising flour
- 60g cornflour
- 110g caster sugar
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:20min cooling › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas 2.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot, and while the butter is melting, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- When the butter is just melted, add your dry ingredients mixture and stir until all it comes together.
- Spread into a 25x17cm (or similar) baking tin and prick with a fork. Bake for 1 hour, until shortbread is a golden brown colour.
- Once removed from oven, cut into slices immediately and sprinkle with a little more caster sugar but leave in baking tin for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool (this prevents the shortbread from crumbling and falling apart.
Depending on your oven, this recipe may be ready a little quicker, so check after 45 minutes.
I made these last night and they were lovely - melting the butter makes mixing a lot easier and less messy. I also added a rounded teaspoon of cinnamon which gave a really nice flavour. Thanks ;o) - 15 Sep 2013
Doesnt take an hour to cook shortbread in an over. Takes my oven 25minutes at the most. Recomend you change your cooking time to match. - 18 Dec 2011
These were the best. - 22 Oct 2011