- 1.5kg loin of pork, with thick layer of fat on top
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C /gas mark 4. Note that this is a plain pork loin roast - you can cook root vegetables alongside but I haven't included them in the recipe.
- Score the thick layer of fat on top of the loin. Then using a sharp knife, slice off the layer of fat for easy removal later OR you could ask your butcher to do this for you, if you prefer.
- Place the loin in a roasting pan, cover with the layer of fat and cook in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, basting the pork frequently with the pan juices to keep it moist. Transfer the meat from the roasting pan to a heated serving plate and keep hot.
- Place the pork skin back in the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes, checking every few minutes.
You can make a nice gravy with the pan juices, some redcurrant jelly, stock and a tablespoon of flour to thicken.
I do 240 degrees top oven for 25 min then 190 degrees 30-35 min per pound in the middle oven always get fab crackling and not dry meat - 15 Sep 2013
It took me ages to get crackling right but I finally worked out that it has a lot to do with moisture in the skin. I have posted an article on http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/Articles/The-Perfect-Pork-Joint-On-A-Weber-BBQ.html here which may help: Although it is on a weber bbq it can be applied to a convection oven as well. Hope it helps. Bring back the Crackling! - 20 Apr 2012