Coffee sponge cake
- 170g margarine, softened
- 170g caster sugar
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 140g self raising flour
- 30g mild instant coffee powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 dessertspoons warm water
Prep:30min › Cook:20min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4, and grease and flour two sandwich tins.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat together the margarine and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and stir.
- Sift together the flour and instant coffee. Add the dry mixture to the margarine mixture alternately with the beaten eggs, stirring between each addition. Finally, add 2 dessertspoons of warm water, and stir.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared tins. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cakes test done with a wooden skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tins till cool enough to handle, then tip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Fill or ice as desired.
This is so easy to make and smells lovely when its cooking. I brought some ready made chocolate frosting. I don't think you will need too much of this cake as I expect it will be very rich but lovely. - 24 Mar 2012
I thought that this was a bit too strongly flavoured with coffee!I would make it again though,but i'd add only half of the amount of coffee that was originally stated! - 03 May 2012