Sticky toffee pudding without dates
- 190g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 120ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toffee sauce
- 120g butter or margarine
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 250ml double cream
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the sugar and mix well.
- In another bowl add the milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk together until a light frothy foam forms on top.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and mix together until smooth.
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until cake is firm on top; start checking after 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, add the butter, sugar and cream to a large saucepan and simmer over medium high heat until sauce is smooth and dark brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before serving with pudding.
Halfway through making this pudding I noticed the earlier review and my heart sunk. Since I was, as I said, halfway through I continued - thank goodness! The recipe (as far as I could see) has no specific pan size for the cake, so I used a medium sized porcelain bread form. The cake rose perfectly, it took about 30 mins - the toffee sauce bubbled over - it needs a large saucepan - I had 6 people for lunch and the whole lot went! It really was very good. I will be making this again. - 26 Jan 2012
Was desperate for some sticky toffee pudding, but i didn't have any dates, then i came across this recipe. I was a bit concerned about trying it out because a previous reviewer didn't have anything good to say about it! Tasted bad, looked bad, doughy, etc etc. Well, i was pleasantly surprised! It wasn't flat and doughy at all, it was well risen and a lovely golden colour that didn't look at all bad! And tasted scrummy. Go on give it a try! Quick sticky toffee pudding fix if you are out of dates! - 21 Jul 2012
Wow! What an amazing pudding. Have never made anything like this before, followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect. Makes six large portions with lots of delicious toffee sauce. - 24 Feb 2013