Really simple chocolate sponge cake
- For the cake
- 340g caster sugar
- 340g butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 280g self-raising flour
- 56g cocoa powder
- For the buttercream
- 220g butter
- 340g icing sugar
- 110g cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk, or as needed
- lots of chocolate buttons
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:1hr30min
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease two 23cm cake tins.
- Cream together the caster sugar and the 340g butter. Add the eggs. Mix together.
- Add the self raising flour. Mix together. Add the cocoa powder. Mix together. Divide the cake mixture evenly between the two tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the middle shelf until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Allow the layers to cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream: Beat the 220g butter until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar, the cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat until creamy (add more milk to loosen if necessary).
- Use half of the buttercream for the middle filling and half for the top. Decorate with chocolate buttons.
Good easy recipe to follow although, I had to add another egg as the mixture was too thick to mix with an electric mixer. However, turned out fab - very fluffy. - 09 Feb 2012
As said below, something is wrong with the proportions here, after adding the flour the mix is far too dry, almost like a dough. After adding an extra egg as another reviewer said I still had to add water to get to a spreadable consistency. For the quantity of ingredients this has produced a fairly dense cake, I'd suggest trying an alternative recipe. - 05 Jan 2013