Best cheese and onion pie
179 people made this
About this recipe:
A lovely cheese and onion pie done with a hot water crust pastry, which is made with milk instead of water. Tip: Use the pastry while still warm, it's easy to roll out.
50g unsalted butter
2 large onions, chopped
800g Cheddar cheese, grated
2 large eggs
5 tablespoons double cream
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 beaten egg yolk, to glaze
675g plain flour
255g unsalted butter
250ml full fat milk
Extra time:15min cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- For the pie: Melt the 50g butter in a pan and gently fry the onions on a low heat until soft, then leave to cool.
- Mix the onions into a bowl with the grated cheese, eggs, cream and seasoning, and mix thoroughly with your fingers.
- For the hot water crust pastry: Warm a mixing bowl and sift in the flour. Make a well in the centre.
- Heat the butter and the milk in a saucepan over medium high heat until just boiling. Pour into the well in the flour. Mix quickly. Continue mixing the pastry until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the pastry into two balls, keeping one a little larger than the other. Roll out the larger ball of pastry into a lined greased baking tin. Tip the cheese and onion mixture into the pastry case.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry and cover with the rolled-out top piece, crimping the edges together carefully. Brush beaten egg over the top, and make a hole in the middle.
- Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling from the hole.
- Allow to cool before serving.
This was simply the best i've ever made! Though i added 100g Gruyere cheese and 150ml of double cream. Lovely and moist and slightly runny.....yum!
- 09 Sep 2012
Delicious, didn't have enough cheddar cheese so half was made up with Mozzarella cheese, will definitely be making again. Thanks
- 15 Dec 2012
My husband made this pie and it was so tasty i would definately recommend this to any cheese and onion pie lover. thanks for the recipe love it
- 01 Oct 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate