Super juicy rock cakes
4 people made this
About this recipe:
Moist alternative to the classic British rock cakes, with raisins, apricots, citrus peel and cranberries.
Makes: 16 cakes
100g raisins or sultanas
100g dried apricots, chopped
50g mixed citrus peel, chopped
50g dried cranberries
450g self-raising flour
1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
200g demerara sugar
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
sugar for sprinkling
Extra time:2hr soaking ›
- Mix the raisins, apricots, mixed citrus peel and cranberries in a bowl and soak for 2 hours in water.
- Heat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and then add the ground nutmeg.
- Add the butter and rub together to resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Drain the fruit of water and damp dry with kitchen paper. Add to the mixture.
- Pour both beaten eggs into the mixture until it comes together to a dough ball.
- Place the dough in generous lumps on a baking tray and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate