16 people made this
About this recipe:
Tradtional gingerbread using apple puree instead of eggs and milk - lovely and moist, great for cold winter evenings!
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
85g (3oz) sunflower spread (e.g. Pure®)
85g (3oz) black treacle
85g (3oz) golden syrup
85g (3oz) Demerara sugar
170g (6oz) apple puree
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon and soda into a mixing bowl.
- Melt sunflower spread, treacle, syrup and sugar in a pan over a low heat, stirring all the time.
- Allow the contents of the pan to cool a little, then pour into the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the apple puree, then beat well until thoroughly mixed. The mixture will be fairly runny. Pour mixture into a greased and floured loaf tin.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. The gingerbread is cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Slice to serve - some people like it with butter, or you could serve as a pudding with custard or cream.
great recipe. turned out well. tasted even better with crystallized ginger on top!
- 04 Aug 2014
incredibly yummy and easy to make!! Everyone loved it!!! Used oil instead of pure sunflower spread
- 27 May 2014
I have a bit of a fear of baking but decided to tackle this and found it really easy to make. It came out lovely and moist and is very tasty! Love this recipe.
- 15 Jan 2016
Write a review
Click on stars to rate