A basic sponge
- 100g butter
- 100g sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 to 2 drops vanilla extract
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- First preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Next beat in the eggs one at a time adding a little flour with each.
- Fold in the remaining flour and add your vanilla extract. Stir well getting as much air in to the mixture as possible - do not use a pump! :) Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin.
- Put it in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes (do not open the oven door to check on it. Wait until you can smell it or you can see that it is ready. If you do open the oven door before the cake is ready this will cause the air in the cake to escape and leave you with a flat cake!)
- Take the cake out of the oven and leave it to cool. When cool decorate it however you want! Enjoy!!!
For decorating tips and tutorials YouTube can always help!
Did this all by hand because i have no blender and it came out great, had to double the mixture for a 9 inch cake tin and only took 20 mins. Very easy and great recipe. - 12 Feb 2013
BRILLIANT!!! - 22 Jan 2012
superb cake recipe will definetly use again - 16 Feb 2013