1 / 1 Picture by: LittleAngell46
Makes: 40 Drops
- 400g caster sugar
- 160ml cream
- 160ml water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:15min › Cook:40min › Extra time:20min cooling › Ready in:1hr15min
- Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with aluminium foil and spraying the foil with cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, cream and water in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cream of tartar and boil the mixture until it reaches 116 C, soft-ball stage. Add the butter and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 138 C, soft-crack stage.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Using a very small teaspoon, carefully drop spoonfuls of the hot butterscotch onto the prepared baking sheets. It is important to work quickly before the mixture begins to set. The drops will spread, so leave a bit of space in between your spoonfuls. Continue forming small butterscotch drops on the prepared sheets until you run out of the mixture or it becomes too hard to work with.
- Allow the drops to set at room temperature, then lift them off the baking sheet. Serve immediately, or place them in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!