- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the beans are just cooked. Drain well and set aside to cool.
- Put the quail's eggs into a saucepan with cold water to cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook at a low simmer for 3 minutes. Rinse well in cold water. Peel the eggs carefully and place in cold water.
- Toss the salad leaves together with the parsley, chives and red onion in a large shallow bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix the tapenade with the garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then pour two-thirds of the dressing over the salad leaves and toss well to mix.
- Halve the potatoes and arrange them on top of the leaves with the green beans, radishes, chunks of tuna, tomatoes, peppers and olives. Halve the quail's eggs and add them to the salad. Pour over the remaining dressing, garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Some more ideas
For a classic Italian cannellini bean and tuna salad, omit the potatoes and quail's eggs and add 1 can cannellini beans, about 400 g, well drained, to the salad leaves. Use the juice of ½ lemon in the dressing instead of balsamic vinegar. * Try this salad using different varieties of tomatoes, such as yellow cherry tomatoes, baby plum tomatoes or quartered vine-ripened plum tomatoes.
Canned tuna retains a high vitamin content, particularly vitamins B12 and D. * In common with many other salad ingredients, radishes are a useful source of vitamin C and are very low in calories. The radish has a very hot flavour due to an enzyme in the skin that reacts with another substance to form a mustard type of oil. * Green beans are a good source of dietary fibre and provide valuable amounts of folate.
Each serving provides
Excellent source of niacin, selenium, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C. Good source of folate, iron, potassium, vitamin A. Useful source of calcium, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin E, zinc.