Family Favourite Cottage Pie
12 people made this
About this recipe:
A hearty supper dish and a favourite with the boys and kids alike.
1 tablespoon olive oil
450g minced lean beef steak mince
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 medium carrots, chopped finely
2 bay leaves
the leaves off 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
dash of Worcester sauce (optional)
1 to 2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
290ml beef stock
1kg maris piper potatoes, peeled and quartered
large knob of butter
up to 120ml of semi-skimmed milk (according to personal preference)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and over medium-low heat add the beef, onion and carrot. Stir until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and stir through for a minute or so. Stir in the Worcester sauce (optional), tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and stock. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, boil the prepared potatoes until soft. Drain and then mash them, adding the butter and milk until you have a nice smooth, but not too stiff, mash. Season to taste.
- Pour the mince mixture into a large casserole dish and cover with mash. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon onto warmed plates and serve with steamed/boiled garden peas and/or string beans with some garden mint.
This was good. Warm comfort food. Thanks for posting the recipe
- 12 Sep 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate