- Place the salmon in a deep-sided, non-stick frying pan. Pour over the wine and add the bay leaves, lemon zest and seasoning to taste. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and poach the salmon for 5–6 minutes or until just cooked – it should still be very slightly translucent in the centre.
- Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, grated lemon zest and tarragon. Season to taste and spoon the mixture into a serving bowl.
- When the fish is cooked, drain off most of the cooking liquid into a measuring jug and add enough boiling water to make 360 ml (12 fl oz). Cover the pan with a lid to keep the salmon warm, off the heat.
- Pour the diluted fish stock over the couscous in a bowl and leave for 3–4 minutes for the liquid to be absorbed. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir in the chopped tomatoes, spring onions and watercress. Drizzle over the olive oil and lemon juice, and stir to blend everything together. Season to taste.
- Serve warm with the couscous salad and the tarragon mayonnaise.
Some more ideas
The aniseed flavour of Pernod works well with the tarragon mayonnaise. Poach the salmon in 100 ml (3½ fl oz) water or stock mixed with 4 tbsp Pernod or pastis. * Half-fat crème fraîche and 0% Greek-style yogurt can be used to make a sauce with an even lower fat content. * For a special occasion, cook a whole salmon and serve it garnished with twists of lemon and sprigs of fresh tarragon. To cook salmon, season and wrap loosely in a large sheet of lightly oiled foil, then bake in a preheated 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4) oven, allowing 10 minutes per 450 g (1 lb).
Combining reduced fat mayonnaise with plain low-fat yogurt makes a lighter sauce that is lower in calories and fat than standard mayonnaise alone. * Couscous is the staple food in many North African countries. It is low in fat and high in starchy carbohydrate. For a lower Glycaemic Index, use pasta or rice noodles instead.
Each serving provides
Excellent source of iron, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin E. Good source of selenium, vitamin A, vitamin C. Useful source of calcium, folate, potassium, vitamin B2, zinc.