- 75g butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 100ml red wine
- 400ml chicken or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- salt and black pepper
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan and cook the onion over medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook until the onions are brown, around 30 minutes in total.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute and then add the wine, stock, Worcester sauce and mustard.
- Bring the gravy to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Looks delicious. I have a question: Is the mustard prepared mustard(condiment) or powdered mustard(spice)? Thank you. - 30 Nov 2011
Brilliant recipe very easy to follow and delicious. One question can the sauce be frozen ? - 05 Jul 2012
Scrummy. Well worth the time taken. Thanks for the recipe. Sooooo much better than gravy granules. And I've finally got the kids to appreciate the difference. - 20 Mar 2011