Crispy roast pork belly
- 1 (700g) whole pork belly
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
Prep:5min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr5min
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / Gas 2.
- Score the skin with a sharp knife, making 5mm cuts all around. These will then form the places to slice when cooked.
- Season the skin generously with salt, rubbing it well into the skin, add a little more salt, then add pepper. Place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours 15 minutes. Turn the heat up to 220 C / Gas 7 and roast until the skin is really crisp and golden, 30 to 45 minutes. At this point you will need to carefully check to ensure the joint is not burning too much. Cooking times will vary depending on the exact size of the joint.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer onto a chopping board and using a sharp knife, cut into slices. Move onto a serving plate and double wrap with foil until ready to eat. Eat within 45 minutes or it will become too cold and the crackling may lose some of its crispness.
Also nice served hot with gravy for a Sunday Roast.
Fill with a stuffing mix and bake as above.
Serve with my fresh apple and pepper chutney recipe - the perfect partner to this dish.
See it on my blog
Added fresh thyme and black pepper to the rub for the crackling. Mmm! - 29 Apr 2013
Cooked perfectly. Thank you :-) - 02 Dec 2013
Very nice, loved the crackling. Served this with roast potatoes and a Chinese five spice gravy - 13 Feb 2014