- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Add the turkey and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Reduce the heat to moderate and add the onion, celery, pepper and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 2 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Stir in the tomatoes with the juice from the can, the stock, coriander, cumin, oregano and chilli powder. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (325ºF, gas mark 3). Add the courgettes, sweetcorn and borlotti or kidney beans to the soup. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan again. Simmer the soup for a further 10 minutes or until the courgettes are just tender.
- Meanwhile, wrap the stack of tortillas tightly in foil and heat in the oven for about 10 minutes or until warmed through and soft.
- To make the salsa, place the lime juice in a bowl. Halve, stone, peel and dice the avocados, then add to the bowl and toss them in the lime juice. Gently mix in the tomatoes, spring onions and rocket, adding seasoning to taste. Take care not to break up the diced avocados.
- Season the soup with a little salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and serve. Spoon the salsa on top of the soup or eat it, wrapped in the warm tortillas, as an accompaniment.
Beans and pulses are a good source of dietary fibre, particularly soluble fibre which can help to reduce high blood cholesterol and blood glucose levels. They also provide useful amounts of vitamin B1 and iron. * Vitamin C from the salsa will help the body to absorb iron from the beans. * Avocados are rich in vitamin B6, which is vital for making the ‘feel-good’ hormone serotonin. They also provide the antioxidant vitamin E which can help to protect against heart disease.
Each serving provides
Excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C. Good source of vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. Useful source of folate, iron, niacin, selenium, vitamin E.