Minced beef & potato bake
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 large or 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 50g sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons yeast extract such as marmite or vegemite
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 450g thinly sliced potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 50g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- water or beef stock if needed
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Dry fry the mince, half the onion and all mushrooms until browned. Add yeast extract and stir in thyme. I usually add about 100ml water if mix is too thick.
- Grease a shallow dish and lay half the potatoes and the remaining onions in. Add half of the mince mix, half of the cheese. Layer on the rest of mince, making sure to spread out evenly. Put the rest of the potatoes on top.
- Cover with lid or foil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Uncover, top with remaining cheese and put under grill until cheese is melted and browned.
If I am making this for children, I cut the yeast extract down as the taste can be a bit strong.
Wow this is sooo tasty. Got a bit confused about wether to add all mushrooms or half with mince but it turned out right in the end. Kids loved it, so did my parents. tried with lamb mince too. Super!! - 12 Jul 2012
It tasted great.I love it - 11 Nov 2012
Very easy to make. I added chopped leeks and celery instead of the mushrooms out of personal preference. Will definitely make this again. - 20 Apr 2013