Bacon and cheese potato parcels
- 2 potatoes
- 40g smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 thin slices of provolone cheese
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 small onion, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
Prep:10min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Wash the potatoes very well, leaving the skins on and dry them. Microwave for 30 seconds to make them a little softer.
- Cut them lengthways in half. Prepare 2 sheets of aluminium foil and place one potato in each sheet. Insert the smoked bacon and one slice of provolone in each potato. Put in also a sprig of rosemary and the onion. Add salt, pepper and sprinkle with some olive oil. Place the other potato half on top of the fillings, then wrap each potato snugly in a sheet of foil.
- Place the two parcels of foil on a baking tray and bake them in the oven for about 50 minutes. Check every once in a while to see how they are cooking.
Instead of bacon and cheese, you can use tinned tuna. You can also brown a little bit of garlic with the tuna in a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and then put that in the potatoes halfway through the cooking time.
Almost any variety of bacon or ham would work in this recipe, as well as other types of cheese. Cheddar, Stilton, Manchego, Gruyere and others would all work a treat.
These are classic - I microwaved the tater longer = about 4 minutes. I do suggest that you either spray or oil the foil so they don't stick and the skins crisp up. Thanks for a fun - 14 Sep 2012