1 / 1 Picture by: CookinUpAStorm
Camilla's venison stew
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 700g venison, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, cut to a large dice
- 1 large carrot, cut to a large dice
- 1 large parsnip, cut to a large dice
- 1 celery stick, cut to a large dice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole juniper berries
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 120ml cognac
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 60g dried blueberries
- 500ml beef stock
Prep:20min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / Gas 3.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Season the venison with salt and pepper and add it to the dish. Brown the venison over medium heat. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, parsnip and celery to the casserole dish and cook until fragrant. Add the garlic, parsley, cloves, juniper, allspice and bay leaf and cook about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cognac, scraping up all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the dish. Add the tomatoes, blueberries, beef stock and venison to the dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil and cover.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake, covered, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes or polenta.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!