1 / 1 Picture by: Norma MacMillan
Creamy lamb's liver stroganoff
- 300 g (10½ oz) lamb's liver, trimmed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 10 g (¼ oz) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 75 g (2½ oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 150 g (5½ oz) brown cap mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 200 g (7 oz) button mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 360 ml (12 fl oz) dry white wine
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) beef or veal stock, preferably home-made
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp créme fraîche
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh oregano and/or parsley to garnish (optional)
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Rinse the liver and pat it dry with kitchen paper. If it is not already sliced, cut it into thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Place the liver in the pan and brown quickly over a very high heat for 2 minutes, turning the slices once. The liver will not be cooked through at this point. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and reduce the heat to moderate. When the butter has melted, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add all the mushrooms and the garlic and mix well, then cook for 5 minutes. Keep the heat high so the mushrooms brown rather than stew in their juices.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the flour and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes, then slowly pour in the wine and stock, stirring all the time. Add the oregano and nutmeg and simmer, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the mustard and créme fraîche. Return the liver to the pan and cook gently for 3–4 minutes. Season to taste. Spoon the liver Stroganoff onto warmed plates, sprinkle with oregano and/or parsley and serve immediately.
This was very tasty and moorish. a couple of rashers of smokey bacon would have gone nice with it, but was nice as it was - 11 Jul 2009
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!