1 / 1 Picture by:
Chinese crispy duck pancakes
- 4 duck legs (or 6 duck breasts)
- 2 handfuls of salt
- 3 tablespoons chinese five spice
- 1 knob of root ginger
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 red chillies
- 600g duck fat
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1/2 jar hoisin sauce
- 16 soft pancakes
Prep:15min › Cook:2hr35min › Ready in:2hr50min
- Sprinkle the duck with the salt and leave for 15 to 30 minutes. This will bring all the moisture out of the skin and will make it extra crispy at the end.
- Preheat your oven to 150 C / Gas 2.
- Using some kitchen towel pat the moisture off the duck.
- In a large ovenproof casserole dish, add the duck, five spice, ginger, orange, cinnamon, star anise, chillies and duck fat.
- Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
- Cut the cucumber and spring onions into strips to fit in your pancakes.
- Take the duck out of the fat, and place on a baking tray, turn your oven up to as high as you can, and 'fry' skin side down for about 5 minutes, to crisp the skin.
- Shred the duck with a fork. Serve with your pancakes, cucumber, spring onions and hoisin sauce.
Recipe headline suggests this will show me how to make the pancakes but there is no mention of them. Disappointing. - 08 Jan 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!