Beef stroganoff with mushrooms
- 400g frying beef or beef steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 300g soured cream (use less if you prefer a drier dish)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 beef stock cube
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 or 2 handfuls sliced mushrooms
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- cooked spinach tagliatelle (or pasta of your choice)
- olive oil, for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- In a bit of olive oil, slowly fry the chopped onion and garlic cloves over a low-medium heat until the onions start to soften up.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and throw in strips of beef. Fry together for about a minute until the beef starts to brown. Do not overcook as this can make the beef chewy especially if using a cheap frying steak.
- Reduce temperature again and add the chopped pepper, a few good splashes of Worcestershire Sauce, 1 heaped tablespoon paprika, about half a teaspoon of ground black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper if you like it a bit spicier. Continue to fry for about another minute.
- Add the soured cream and the mushrooms and simmer for at least 10 minutes (or longer if the pasta is still cooking).
- Add a pinch of salt to taste if required. Please note that certain stock cubes have quite a high salt content so this may not be required.
- If you are using dried pasta it's a good idea to put the water on to boil at this point - follow the pasta cooking times on the packet as times may vary.
- Serve the stroganoff over the pasta. Add grated cheese and serve with crusty bread, if desired.
For the pasta
Use around 80g per person for dried pasta or 125g per person if using fresh. I often use fusilli or penne instead of tagliatelle.
I fancied Strog for a change & this recipe proved simple & tasty - thanks. I served with long-grain rice..... - 14 Apr 2014
Rated on 21 Mar 2014
This is the first time I've made Beef Stroganoff from scratch. Very quick and easy to make and tasty. Will make this again. - 10 Sep 2013